Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Let it snow...

Luke says this is crazy talk, but I am ready to move...and to move where it is cooler. I am tired of this warm weather during the winter months. I want seasons, and specifically, I want snow.

Luke just looks at me and shakes his head. He tells me I don't know what I'd be getting myself into, and he's probably a wee bit right. But, it doesn't change the fact.

I have lived in Florida for 23 years (19 if you subtract the college years in NC), and I will admit that my blood has thinned. In fact, I get cold so easily that I think sometimes I may have water running through my vains. But, the first part of my life, I lived in cooler climates. I was born in Maryland, lived there until I was nine, and then moved to Michigan, where we lived until I was 12 and we moved to Florida. So, it has been a long time since I lived anywhere with significantly cooler weather. And, I will admit that my parents' recollection of Michigan may be a less fond one than mine. I remember snow days and snowmen and skiiing and ice skating on frozen ponds. I think they remember shoveling the driveway and sidewalk, and navigating wet, icy roads in hazardous weather conditions. And having to let the car warm up before they could go anywhere. And even I remember the week that we were without power in the middle of winter and had to go stay in a hotel b/c the house got so cold, and when we came back home our fish had frozen in its bowl.

So, yeah, sure, there are setbacks to snowy weather. But I just really want to experience it again. And I want my kids to experience it, too. Snow can be fun.

Of course, as I said, Luke thinks I'm crazy. But this is coming from someone who was born in Florida and has never lived anywhere else. So, see, he's been deprived of all the winter adventures. Good and bad.

I feel like change is coming...and maybe it'll bring some cooler weather the Granlund way.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Move to VA! It's a nice cross between the two climates. I love the warm but not WAY to hot summers, the cool but sweater weather falls, and the chilly winters where we get the occation snow to play in without the constant yucky roads. Sure, we get a bit more ice than snow here, but I am LOVING IT!
Sorry, Luke, I'm with Melinda on this one...Amen, Sister!

Unknown said...

I didn't remember the fish freezing in the bowl. I guess that's the difference between being ten and being seven...