Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Exhilirating

I waved my Obama sign this morning at the corner of a very congested intersection in Orange Park (Blanding and Kingsley, for those of you who know the area). And I must say, it was incredibly fun.

I was with a small group of Obama supporters (there were 5 people when I got there, but by the time I left, there were about 15 of us). Of course, there were McCain folks on the same corner, but down a bit. They were nasty (called one of the Obama volunteers a "baby killer," to her face; totally uncalled for), and they kept trying to edge in on us. But, the "Yes We Can" crowd held our ground.

I was pleasantly surprised by the positive reaction the Obama team seemed to receive. We got lots of honks, cheers, and thumbs-up. And, actually, it seemed as if we were getting more honks than the McCain crowd. But, since we were standing so close together, it was a little hard to tell.

The enthusiasm was really infectious among the Obama crowd. I absolutely loved being out there and part of the group. Every time somebody honked and waved, our group would yell and cheer even louder. It was terrific.

Of course, we did get some negative reactions, too. There were a few thumbs-down, a number of middle fingers, two shouts of "get a job," and somebody called us a bunch of "g--d--- communists." But I just laughed and blew kisses to those people. Like I said, it was totally fun.

Well, I promised the boys an election party tonight, so we're off to the store to get some balloons. I hope we'll be celebrating Obama's victory, but either way we'll be celebrating the end of George Bush's reign. It's all good.


No comments: