Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A new cat??

A neighborhood kitten seems to have adopted us. We call her "CowCat" because Luke says her coloring looks like that of a dairy cow.

I'm guessing she's only a few months old because she is small, and somewhat skinny, but she's starting to enter that phase where she's more legs than anything else.

We made the big mistake of putting some food out for her on the porch, and now she won't go back to her "other" home (across the street and 5 houses down). She appears to be an outdoor cat.

The boys love her. She is very friendly, and small enough that the boys can pick her up. (Our current cat, Chessie, is too big and heavy for them to pick up, plus, she's not crazy about the kids and wouldn't stay still long enough for them to actually try to pick her up.)

I'm not sure what to do about CowCat. She's sweet, and it's become a game for her to run inside when we open the front door. The boys think this is hilarious. They like to feed her and pet her. But, she's not ours. I don't know if her other household is missing her, or it they could care less that she spends more time with us.

I also don't know if her current owners have given her any shots, or had her fixed, or given her any flea treatments. I'd give her some our flea treatment, except I don't want to overdose her.

But most importantly, I don't know if I want another cat. For those of you who know us, we've lost three animals this year. One other cat and two dogs. It's been a rough year for the animals at our house, and we are getting used to having just Chessie around. I'm just not sure if I want to add another animal into the mix at this point.

A picture will come shortly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm, this sounds like our house, what with Orange Pop and Mama Cita and Dasher and Vixen and Blitzen. And they try to rush inside as soon as we open the front door, too. They also have discovered that they can jump up onto the mud room windowsill from the back porch, and thus if we leave that window open (which I like to do to get a cross-breeze) they can get inside. Tribble is not a fan.
You can tell if she's been spayed by looking for a small scar about a third of an inch long that's about where you'd think her bellybutton would be. At her age, if she's been spayed it's recent enough that probably her hair is shorn and the scar is bright, so you'll know right away if she has been. I don't know how I feel about spaying/neutering someone else's animal, but I'm taking Orange Pop in tomorrow because A) I can't tell who, if anyone, owns him, and B) he's the only male in our group so it's less expensive kitten insurance than getting all the ladies done; once I'm working and we can afford it I'll take care of that.

Anonymous said...

I say keep her!